Thursday, August 07, 2003

Nostalgia means "Return to Pain"



For some reason, I've been into music from my high school years. Maybe, it was when Half.com came up with Todd Rundgren's Utopia and I bought it. It's exactly the right length that I can listen to each side (or what used to be a "side") back and forth on my commute to work.



Maybe it was picking up the Kinky Friedman novels and getting into his music. Laurie had been interested in him, for his animal rescue work and I had long known about his old songs like "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in Bed."



Or maybe it was the Cheap Trick cd, I picked up in Des Moines. I went for a run while I was at Gnomedex, early in the morning. I'll bet that I was the only person doing that. Anyway, I ran by this record store and saw a Ramones poster in the window that I had to have. So, on the break for dinner, I took a walk from the hotel and one can't just go in to the store and pick up a poster without looking at everything else. So I found a copy of Cheap Trick's Music for Hangovers. Thinking it was the highlights from their early records, which I loved, I picked it up and listened to it on the way home. Somewhat apropos, as the free, as in free beer, beer from the Google party had given me the "Beechwood Headache" as Anheuser Busch products are prone to do.



After all that, the other day, I get an e-mail from the coordinator of my high school reunion, 25th to be exact.

No comments: